‘Fringe players’ given chance against Northampton
PAUL Jewell has this morning confirmed that he will use tomorrow night’s Carling Cup match against Northampton Town to blood “fringe and youth players”.
And the Ipswich Town boss has called on his squad players to impress against the Cobblers at Portman Road and play their way into his thinking for Saturday’s league match against Hull City.
Jewell said: “There will be a few changes and we will give some players who haven’t played a lot of football a game. It is up to them to make it difficult for me to leave them out in the future.
“We will give fringe players and young players the opportunity to play in a competitive game, but we want to win the game.
“Northampton certainly won’t be easy and we won’t take them lightly at all. We know it is going to be tough.”
You may also want to watch:
Jewell confirmed that Arran Lee-Barrett would start in goal with young American Cody Cropper on the bench.
Damien Delaney, who hobbled off in the opening day win at Bristol City, will miss tomorrow’s first round clash but the manager said he expected the defender to be fit for the weekend.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 8 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 9 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 10 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
David Stockdale, Tamas Priskin and Josh Carson are all away on international duty.