FULL-TIME: Blackpool 6 Ipswich Town 0

Blackpool v Ipswich: Brutal Blackpool destroyed poor Ipswich with a super showing to ruin Town’s decent start to the season.

Tom Ince was the chief architect with two goals and three assists as the gap between the league leaders and Paul Jewell’s young side was cruelly exposed.

An own goal by Aaron Cresswell after 12 minutes broke the deadlock but arguably the key goal was Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s on the cusp of half-time.

Blackpool then struck three times in the first 12 minutes of the second half as Ipswich simply fell apart, having no answer to the Seasiders’ clinical ability in the final third.

Ince scored twice and before centre-back Craig Cathcart powered home a header. In the final seconds, Nouha Dicko tapped the ball home after sub Matt Phillips had lobbed the onrushing Scott Loach to seal a miserable afternoon for Town fans.

Remarkably, Town had actually started the game the brighter and a fantastically incisive move in the fourth minute involving Andy Drury, Luke Hyam and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas saw the latter’s low cross deflected away by Alex Baptiste as Michael Chopra waited to pounce.

But Blackpool have had their own bright start to the season and it quickly became apparent why they hold the Championship’s only 100% record.

Most Read

That said, it took a poor mistake from Tommy Smith to open the door for them to take the lead.

Stephen Crainey’s long ball should have been dealt with by the New Zealand international but he horribly skewed his header, allowing Thomas Ince to break into the box.

The Swansea City target’s low cross was heading for Kevin Phillips but Cresswell slid the ball into his own net in a desperate attempt to clear.

Town continued to play their patient brand of football without threatening enough – though Lee Martin’s deflected cross had Matthew Gilks scrambling across his goal.

In the 38th minute, Ince, a constant menace, exchanged passes with Taylor-Fletcher and burst through the Town defence but his shot rolled wide of the far post.

Just two minutes before the break, Town came close to equalising when Emmanuel-Thomas beat Crainey to Cresswell’s long reverse pass but his super volley was brilliantly turned around by Gilks at his near post.

Just as the half went into injury time, the Seasiders made their visitors pay when Ince broke past Massimo Luongo into the area and his cut-back was expertly turned in by Taylor-Fletcher.

The next goal was always going to be key and it took Blackpool just five minutes of the restart to add a third, Ince latching onto to Stephen Crainey’s long ball to run at Smith, gain a yard and then expertly find the far corner.

Scott Loach saved well to deny Kevin Phillips but it was only a matter of time and Ince again showed his talent when he curled home an effort from 20 yards with 58 minutes on the clock.

Four minutes later, it was four on the scoreboard when Cathcart headed in Ince’s cross.

The former Liverpool youngster also claimed a hat-trick when he placed the ball over Loach but Dicko was adjudged to have fouled Luke Chambers as the centre-back attempted to clear the ball off the line.

Town registered only their second shot on target after 89 minutes when sub Jason Scotland found the body of Gilks before Blackpool notched a sixth.

Alex Baptiste looped the ball over the static away defence, Phillips chipping Loach and Dicko getting the final touch before the ball crossed the line.


Ipswich: Loach; Edwards, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Luongo (Carson 65), Hyam; Emmanuel-Thomas (Scotland 56), Martin, Drury, Chopra (Murray 69). Subs – Delaney, Lee-Barrett, Stevenson, Ainsley.

Blackpool: Gilks; Eardley, Cathcart, Baptise, Crainey; Osbourne, Angel (Nougera 60), Gomes; Taylor-Fletcher (Phillips 63), K Phillips (Dicko 56), Ince. Subs – Evatt, Sylvestre, Ferguson, Halstead.