FULL TIME: Bristol City 2 Ipswich Town 1
- Credit: Archant
Bristol City v Ipswich: Former Ipswich Town striker Jon Stead’s last-minute strike broke the Blues’ hearts and gave Bristol City a crucial three points in their quest for Championship survival.
Substitute Stead pounced on fellow replacement, Stephen Davies’ flick-on to fire home from eight yards - with stoppage-time approaching - to plunge Town back into trouble.
The Blues remain six points above the drop-zone but have dropped to fourth-bottom, following wins for Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday, while the teams in the drop-zone, Peterborough, Barnsley and today’s opponents, City, all have a game in hand on Mick McCarthy’s men.
Town never looked troubled in a scrappy game but were pegged back when Daryl Murphy’s smart first-half opener was cancelled out by Davies’ early second-half finish, just after half-time.
Winger Paul Anderson took down a high ball with aplomb and fed former Town target Davies who hit an unstoppable shot into the top corner, past Scott Loach.
You may also want to watch:
Town edged a first half lacking in quality and could have doubled their lead just before the break, but Lee Martin somehow missed the target six yards out, when it looked easier to score.
Martin then brought out a tremendous second-half save from Tom Heaton, after the stopper found Aaron Cresswell’s initial shot, from 35 yards, too hot to handle
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 8 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 9 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
Bristol City (4-4-2): Heaton, Moloney, Carey, Fontaine, Cunningham, Kelly, Skuse, Kilkenny (Elliott 83), Anderson, Baldock (Stead 79), Taylor (Davies 16). Subs not used: Gerken, Foster, J Wilson, Pearson.
Blues (4-4-2): Loach, Orr, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell, Edwards, Hyam, N’Daw, Martin, McGoldrick, Murphy (Mclean 82). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Kisnorbo, Hewitt, Drury, Chopra, Nouble.