FULL-TIME: Carlisle United 2 Ipswich Town 1

Carlisle v Ipswich: Dismal Town were dumped out of the Capital One Cup tonight at the hands of lower league Carlisle United.

Spurs loanee Massimo Luongo expertly shot the ball home from the edge of the area as Ipswich took a deserved lead in the 24th minute.

It could, and indeed should, have been more with both Josh Carson, in for the injured Luke Hyam, and Michael Chopra missing glorious chances.

As the Cumbrians hit back, Town had no answer and the hosts grabbed their deserved equaliser in the 90th minute when Mark Beck headed home.

The pattern continued into extra-time and it was no surprise when David Symington rifled home the winner following a terrible mistake by Aaron Cresswell.

It could, indeed should, have all been different as Town impressed before the break – giving no clues to the drama that was to follow.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas almost opened the scoring in the 13th minute when his goalbound shot was deflected off the back of Cumbrians defender Peter Murphy.

Most Read

Minutes later, skipper Carlos Edwards limped off with an apparent groin injury and was replaced by Jack Ainsley in his first match in just over a year.

Halfway through the first half, it should have been the Blues celebrating after Lee Martin bundled his way past Mike Edwards and Carson hit straight at the legs of Adam Collin.

But the breakthrough came in the 24th minute and it was one that would have delighted manager Paul Jewell.

An incisive crossfield move saw Michael Chopra find Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who laid the ball back for Luongo to shoot calmly through the crowd of players and into the corner from 20 yards.

Carlisle were largely restricted to half-chances although Danny Cadamarteri’s neat flick header only just missed Scott Loach’s near post.

Town should have doubled their advantage in the 37th minute when a quick break saw Martin release Chopra.

With one defender to beat, the striker slipped the ball one side of Murphy and ran the other to leave him with a clean run at goal.

But his low far post shot was superbly tipped to one side by Collin and the chance had gone.

manuel-Thomas controlled Aaron Cresswell’s low cross but his goalbound shot was somewhat fortunately deflected away off the back of Peter Murphy.

There was a worrying moment soon after when skipper Carlos Edwards limped off with an apparent groin injury and Jack Ainsley came on for his first match since the 7-1 defeat by Peterborough last August.

The change of personnel, and concern over Edwards, didn’t alter the pattern of the game.

Ipswich should have opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Martin wrestled his way past Peter Murphy and Carson, free in the area, shot straight at the legs of Carlisle keeper Adam Collin.

It was a great chance but just three minutes later, the breakthrough came and it was a beauty in terms of its simplicity.

A smooth cross-field move saw a neat turn from Chorpa and then a simple slide rule pass by Emmanuel-Thomas.

Up stepped Luongo who simply found the corner with a side-foot shot from 20 yards for the midfielder’s first ever competitive goal.

Carlisle were forced to live off half-chances although ex-Everton striker Danny Cadamarteri did well to flick a header goalwards that just missed Scott Loach’s near post.

The greater goal threat came at the other end and Chopra should have added a second after doing all the hard work.

Racing onto Martin’s through ball, he neatly got past the last defender Murphy but his low far post shot was just too close to Collin who made a fantastic diving save.

The second half was tamer in comparison as the Cumbrians looked to get back in the game.

Loach did well to hold onto Mike Edwards’ header in the 50th minute before James Berritt hit a decent drive from an angle that flew past the Town far post.

There were too many ifs and maybes from the visitors with the delicate nature of the scoreline meaning none of the 390 Town fans that travelled could sit very comfortably.

An underwhelming half almost came to life in the 80th minute when Aaron Cresswell let fly from 40 yards with a venomous drive that wasn’t too far away.

Chris Chantler proved he had a shot of his own in the 84th minute but Ainsley bravely threw himself in the way before Cresswell headed a dangerous cross away from inside his own six-yard-box.

Carlisle were making one final push, in truth they had been more than a match for their higher-league opponents in the second half, but sub Paddy Madden could only head over when given a yard of space in the Blues box.

They went even closer in the 88th minute when Madden headed down a deep free-kick and Beck volleyed a shot that went past the helpless Loach but also his post.

It seemed as if Town would hold on, but Beck had other ideas. His header was superbly taken and it was no more than the Cumbrians deserved.

It was almost replicated in the third minute of extra-time but Madden headed over after yet another dangerous cross from Robson.

Town finally started to show again, Andy Drury firing just wide from distance.

Then in the 99th minute came Cresswell’s disastrous moment as he attempted to dribble out of defence, Beck tackled him and then played a perfect through ball for Symington to fire home.

The goalscorer then almost grabbed a second when his low drive whistled past the far post.

Town simply had no answer.


Ipswich: Loach, Edwards, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Luongo, Drury; Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Carson; Chopra. Subs – Delaney, Lee-Barrett, Scotland, Stevenson, Murray, Lawrence.

Carlisle: Collin; Potts, Murphy, Edwards, Chantler; Noble, Thirlwell, Berrett; McGovern, Cadamarteri, Robson. Subs – Simek, Welsh, Madden, Beck, Symington, Bugno, Gillespie.