FULL-TIME: Hull City 2 Ipswich Town 1

Hull v Ipswich: Town lost their fourth 1-0 lead in as many matches to make it 10 without a win and just one solitary victory in 17 games.

The visitors’ goal led a charmed life for the first 25 minutes and then again in the latter stages as the home side carved out a host of excellent chances.

But it took two goals from sub Nick Proschwitz, the winner coming in the 92nd minute, to break Town hearts – after they took an undeserved lead in at half-time thanks to Jay Emmanuel Thomas’ moment of individual magic.

The home side laid siege to Stephen Henderson’s goal in the opening 25 minutes and must have wondered how they were not ahead going into the interval.

Dangerous in wide areas, Hull’s Achilles heel was not really testing Town’s new loan keeper when in good areas.

They went close in the sixth minute when Abdoulaye Faye beat Henderson to Paul McShane’s scuffed shot but Aaron Cresswell had time to clear off the line.

The chances kept coming with Seyi Olofinjana and Sone Aluko both failing to hit the target from good positions,

Most Read

In between, the dangerous Aluko broke through but the onrushing Henderson got a touch to the shot and Carlos Edwards cleared the danger, again from his own line.

Amazingly, it was the visitors who took the lead with their first shot on target after 29 minutes.

It came out of nothing, all of Emmanuel-Thomas’ making, picking up a short free-kick from Cresswell, finding space in the area and then drilling a super low shot beyond Ben Amos and into the far post.

Hull were understandably shell-shocked and failed to dominate in the manner they started the game.

Yet they almost equalised in the 48th minute when Faye’s header was tipped onto the crossbar by debutant Henderson.

Ipswich hit back with Lee Martin testing Amos at his near post before they almost – and should have – doubled their advantage on 65 minutes.

DJ Campbell, who has struggled to get good service throughout the game, was put through by Emmanuel-Thomas but with Faye applying pressure, he poked a shot agonisingly wide.

It was to prove a critical moment as Hull upped the pressure in the final 20 minutes.

Sub Aaron Mclean broke clear of the away defence but his shot was well saved by the chest of Henderson before the breakthrough came 17 minutes from time,

Ahmed Elmohamady, the match’s stand-out player, skipped past Daryl Murphy on the Hull right and his driven cross was turned in by �2.6 million man Proschwitz.

It was now a case of whether Ipswich could hang on for the point with Stephen Quinn smacking the far post from distance and Mclean twice going close.

But deep into injury time, Proschwitz met another pinpoint centre from Elmohamady to head home a dramatic winner and heap more pressure on Paul Jewell.


Ipswich: Henderson, Edwards, Chambers, Higginbotham, Cresswell, Emmanuel-Thomas, Wellens, Reo-Coker, Martin, Murphy, Campbell. Subs – Loach, Smith, Hyam, Drury, Mohsni, Scotland, Chopra

Hull: Amos, Rosenior, Dawson, McShane, Faye, Elmohamady, Olofinjana, McKenna, Quinn, Simpson, Aluko. Subs – Oxley, Chester, Evans, Mclean, Cooper, Townsend, Proschwitz.