FULL TIME: Ipswich 3 Leeds 0
Ipswich v Leeds: The Blues secured a crucial three points with a 3-0 victory over 10-man Leeds United at Portman Road.
David McGoldrick grabbed a brace while substitute Jay Emmanuel-Thomas also hit the target as Town took another step towards securing their Championship status.
The game hinged on a first-half dismissal for United’s Tom Lees - the young defender receiving a straight red card for a crude challenge on Jay Tabb, who was then unlucky not to win a penalty after going down under a Paul Green challenge, just before the break.
Up until the red card, the visitors had dominated the game with Scott Loach pulling off a number of fine saves to deny the Yorkshire side, while Andy Drury cleared a David Norris shot off the line.
McGoldrick gave the Blues the lead in first-half stoppage time with a close-range header after Luke Hyam’s initial effort had hit the bar.
This lifted Town who had much the better of the second period and they doubled their lead when McGoldrick fired home after a driving run and cross by Hyam.
Sam Byram twice had efforts to bring Leeds back into the game but was denied by a fine Loach save and then Drury, on the goalline.
- 1 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 2 Former Blue McGoldrick linked with League One move
- 3 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 4 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 5 Five people injured and air ambulance called after car overturned in crash
- 6 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 7 'Significant' amount of Class A drugs and taser found at home in Suffolk
- 8 Plans seek to create traveller pitches for family use
- 9 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 10 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
Emmanuel-Thomas finished Leeds off with a third after a good run and cut-back by Aaron Cresswell down the left.