FULL TIME: Ipswich 3 Leeds 0
Ipswich v Leeds: The Blues secured a crucial three points with a 3-0 victory over 10-man Leeds United at Portman Road.
David McGoldrick grabbed a brace while substitute Jay Emmanuel-Thomas also hit the target as Town took another step towards securing their Championship status.
The game hinged on a first-half dismissal for United’s Tom Lees - the young defender receiving a straight red card for a crude challenge on Jay Tabb, who was then unlucky not to win a penalty after going down under a Paul Green challenge, just before the break.
Up until the red card, the visitors had dominated the game with Scott Loach pulling off a number of fine saves to deny the Yorkshire side, while Andy Drury cleared a David Norris shot off the line.
McGoldrick gave the Blues the lead in first-half stoppage time with a close-range header after Luke Hyam’s initial effort had hit the bar.
You may also want to watch:
This lifted Town who had much the better of the second period and they doubled their lead when McGoldrick fired home after a driving run and cross by Hyam.
Sam Byram twice had efforts to bring Leeds back into the game but was denied by a fine Loach save and then Drury, on the goalline.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 5 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 10 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
Emmanuel-Thomas finished Leeds off with a third after a good run and cut-back by Aaron Cresswell down the left.