FULL-TIME: Ipswich Town 1 Blackburn Rovers 1
Ipswich v Blackburn: Jason Lowe’s own goal earned Ipswich Town a fully deserved comeback draw against newly-relegated Blackburn Rovers on the opening day of the Championship season at Portman Road.
Colin Kazim-Richards nodded home from close-range in the 21st minute after the hosts failed to deal with a Mortem Gamst Pederson corner; Scott Dann taking advantage of Tommy Smith’s poor positioning to head back across goal.
A young Blues outfit enjoyed the majority of possession against their experienced visitors throughout, with Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Luke Chambers both making a mess of glorious chances to level things up in the second half.
Town continued to show far more attacking intent and finally got their reward eight minutes from time when defender Lowe diverted the ball into his own net after substitute Jason Scotland had helped Luke Hyam’s superb chip over the top back across goal.
Roared on by the crowd, Town pressed for a winner in the closing stages, with only a desperate lunge from Gael Givet prevented Lee Martin waltzing his way to goal.
You may also want to watch:
– Reaction to follow.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-2-3-1): Loach; Edwards (cpt), Chambers, Smith, Cresswell; Hyam, Luongo (Drury 70); Emmanuel-Thomas (Scotland 66), Martin, Carson; Chopra.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 5 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Delaney, Ainsley, Stevenson, Murray.
BLACKBURN ROVERS (4-4-2): Robinson; Lowe, Givet, Dann, Orr; Formica (Olsson 71), Murphy (cpt) (Jorge 83), Etuhu, Pedersen; Gomes (Dunn 71), Kazim-Ricahrds.
Subs: Kean, Goodwillie, Hanley, Ribeiro.
Referee: Darren Drysdale