FULL-TIME: Ipswich Town 1 Burnley 0
A TYPICALLY instinctive Michael Chopra goal sealed Ipswich Town a 1-0 win over Burnley and a fifth straight home win.
The Blues striker reacted quickly to divert the ball high into the net after keeper Lee Grant had palmed away a low Lee Martin effort in the 53rd minute.
Following an instantly forgettable drab first half, Town played with much more vigour after the break and took complete charge after breaking the deadlock.
Grant Leadbitter saw a crisp volley cleared off the line by Keiran Trippier, while keeper Lee Grant recovered well from fumbling a long-range Aaron Cresswell strike to block Chopra’s rebound effort.
It was the complete opposite from the reverse fixture – a 4-0 win for the Clarets last November – with Burnley this time the lacklustre outfit.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately the game ended on a downer when Leadbitter picked up two bookings in the dying moments – the second for dissent – to receive his marching orders.
– Reaction to follow.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
IPSWICH TOWN: McCarthy; Edwards (cpt), Smith, Delaney, Cresswell; Leadbitter, Bowyer; Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Murphy; Chopra (Sonko 90+).
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Carson, Stevenson, Drury.
Booked: Bowyer (30), Leadbitter (90, 90+)
Sent-off: Leadbitter (90+)
BURNLEY: Grant; Trippier, Duff, Edgar, Lafferty (Mee 53); Marney (Wallace 59), Stansilas, McCann (cpt), Bartley, Austin (Paterson 59); Rodriguez.
Subs: Jensen, McQuoid.