FULL-TIME: Ipswich Town 1 Burnley 0
A TYPICALLY instinctive Michael Chopra goal sealed Ipswich Town a 1-0 win over Burnley and a fifth straight home win.
The Blues striker reacted quickly to divert the ball high into the net after keeper Lee Grant had palmed away a low Lee Martin effort in the 53rd minute.
Following an instantly forgettable drab first half, Town played with much more vigour after the break and took complete charge after breaking the deadlock.
Grant Leadbitter saw a crisp volley cleared off the line by Keiran Trippier, while keeper Lee Grant recovered well from fumbling a long-range Aaron Cresswell strike to block Chopra’s rebound effort.
It was the complete opposite from the reverse fixture – a 4-0 win for the Clarets last November – with Burnley this time the lacklustre outfit.
Unfortunately the game ended on a downer when Leadbitter picked up two bookings in the dying moments – the second for dissent – to receive his marching orders.
– Reaction to follow.
- 1 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 2 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 3 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 4 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 5 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Red Arrows set to soar over Suffolk this weekend
- 8 A-Level results: Joy for students across Suffolk
- 9 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 10 'Delight' as Farlingaye students achieve 99% pass rate
IPSWICH TOWN: McCarthy; Edwards (cpt), Smith, Delaney, Cresswell; Leadbitter, Bowyer; Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin, Murphy; Chopra (Sonko 90+).
Subs: Lee-Barrett, Carson, Stevenson, Drury.
Booked: Bowyer (30), Leadbitter (90, 90+)
Sent-off: Leadbitter (90+)
BURNLEY: Grant; Trippier, Duff, Edgar, Lafferty (Mee 53); Marney (Wallace 59), Stansilas, McCann (cpt), Bartley, Austin (Paterson 59); Rodriguez.
Subs: Jensen, McQuoid.