Full-time: Ipswich Town 1 Utrecht 1
- Credit: Empics Sports Photography Ltd.
David McGoldrick’s last-minute penalty earned Ipswich Town a 1-1 draw against Utrecht, at Portman Road, this afternoon.
A second half sub, McGoldrick rolled the ball into Robbin Ruitter’s right-hand corner after he was felled by Willem Janssen in the penalty box.
Earlier, on 15 minutes, striker Bart Ramselaar put the Dutch side ahead, guiding home a pin-point cross into the six-yard box from right winger Sean Klaiber.
The Dutch side looked particularly slick in the final third in the first half with Klaiber a danger on the right for Town left-back Jay Tabb and Yassin Ayoub pulling the strings in midfield.
Town had a couple of sights on goal, Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ stinging effort from 25 yards being palmed out of the box by goalkeeper Robbin Ruitter and Teddy Bishop testing the keeper with a left-footed chip that the stopper was equal to.
Ryan Fraser also flashed an effort across goal for Town.
New left-back, Dane Jonas Knudsen made his Town bow at half-time, replacing Tabb and looked neat and tidy on the ball though wasn’t really tested in defence.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 4 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 6 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 7 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 8 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
- 9 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 10 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
On attribute he does possess though is an extremely long throw which got Town’s fans off their seats in the second half.
Kevin Bru had Town’s best chance of the second half but fired over at the second attempt, while Bartosz Bialkowski made a good save at his near post to deny Andrea Ludwig.
BLUES: Bialkowski, Emmanuel (Berra), Chambers, Smith, Tabb (Knudsen), Skuse (McDonnell), Bishop (McGoldrick), Maitland-Niles (Pitman), Fraser (Toure), Murphy (Coke), Sears (Bru).
Subs: Gerken, Knudsen, Yorwerth, Berra, Kenlock, Robinson, Bru, Coke, Toure, McDonnell, McGoldrick, Pitman.
Utrecht: Robbin Ruiter, Mark van der Maarel, Chris Kum, Yassin Ayoub, Willem Jansen, Andreas Ludwig, Timo Letschert, Sean Klaiber, Louis Nganioni, Sebastien Haller, Bart Ramselaar. Subs: Filip Bednarek, Ricoi Streider, Gevero Markiet, Mark Diemers, Rubio Rubin, Kristoffer Peterson, Yannick Cortie, Nacer Barazite.
Follow the game live on our new Match Centre