Gallery: Chopra scores twice as Town romp to victory
PAUL Jewell’s new-look Ipswich Town enjoyed a dream start to the Championship season with a 3-0 win at Bristol City.
Michael Chopra was once again the scourge of the Robins, scoring twice to take his tally of goals against City to seven in nine, with his brace coming either side of Lee Martin’s first goal competitive goal for the club in almost two years.
Chopra’s superb opener came in the 13th minute when Mark Kennedy’s perfectly weighted pass from just inside his own half saw the striker in a straight race for the ball with keeper David James.
The Blues man just about arrived first and sublimely lobbed a first time shot with the outside of his boot over the former England custodian and into the net.
Bristol City staged a fightback after going behind and enjoyed a spell of pressure around the 20 minute mark, with a string of corners causing the visitors all manner of problems.
You may also want to watch:
Town survived though and doubled their lead six minutes after the restart when Martin, released by an excellent Jay Emmanuel-Thomas pass, drove a left-footed shot into the bottom corner.
The result was then sealed on the hour mark when James had a moment to forget. The veteran keeper inexplicably tried to dink the ball past Chopra as he closed him down, but the striker managed to nick it away and tap home.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 9 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 10 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
And it could have been four for the visitors had Grant Leadbitter’s shot from the edge of the box not hit the inside of the post late on.
- Buy Monday’s papers for full reports, reaction and latest news
BRISTOL CITY (4-4-2): James; Spence, Fontaine (cpt), Nyatanga, McAllister (Woolford 71); Adomah, Skuse, Elliott, Campbell-Ryce (Kilkenny 63); Maynard, Stead (Pitman 63).
Unused Subs: Carey, Gerken.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-1-4-1): Stockdale; Edwards, Ingimarsson, Delaney (Smith 63), Cresswell; Kennedy; Emmanuel-Thomas (Carson 84), Bowyer, Leadbitter, Martin; Chopra (Ellington 88).
Unused Subs: Lee-Barrett, Healy.
Attendance: 13,107 (1,654 away)
Referee: Mr M Haywood.