GALLERY: Ipswich Town lift 2005 Youth Cup with win over Southampton
It’s eight years since Ipswich Town’s youth team lifted the FA Youth Cup at Portman Road, after a 3-2 aggregate win over a Southampton team featuring Theo Walcott, Leon Best, David McGoldrick and England star Adam Lallana.
Current Yeovil star Ed Upson, then 15, struck the all-important goal, coming off the substitutes’ bench and scoring from 25 yards in the 118th minute, in front of almost 15,000 fans.
In the first leg, Town’s Cathal Lordan scored both goals at St Mary’s, with current Ipswich striker McGoldrick and Blackburn’s Best notching for the Saints.
Ipswich’s side, as well as featuring Upson, also included Millwall’s Liam Trotter, Notts County’s Danny Haynes and AFC Wimbledon’s Sammy Moore. Lordan was last reported to be playing for the University College of Cork.
Ipswich Town (4-5-1): Supple, Krause, Collins, Casement, Synnott; Craig, Lordan (Hammond 82), Trotter (Upson 105), Moore, Haynes (Sheringham 71); Knights. Subs not used: Reynolds, Ainsley
Southampton (4-4-2): McNeil, Critchell, Rudd, Cranie, Richards; Dyer, Sparv (Lallana 106), James, Walcott; Best, McGoldrick (Condesso 86). Subs not used: Wallis-Tayler, Jones, Dutton-Black.
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Mr Andre Marriner
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 10 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14