Gallery: Town claim narrow victory at Bury

A SECOND half goal by Gareth McAuley gave Ipswich Town victory against competitive Ryman Premier League newcomers Bury Town at Ram Meadow last night.

A SECOND half goal by Gareth McAuley gave Ipswich Town victory against competitive Ryman Premier League newcomers Bury Town at Ram Meadow last night.

The Blues turned on the style after the interval with Tamas Priskin guilty of passing up a number of chances as they enjoyed a thoroughly worthwhile work-out.

Luke Hyam was impressive just in front of the back four with McAuley prominent at both ends of the field.

After his good showing during the second half of the match against PSV Eindhoven in Holland, young Hyam was given a starting role, while Conor Hourihan was rewarded for a good display at Leiston on Tuesday with another starting place.

New signing Mark Kennedy came on after the interval and looked composed and was soon encouraging and cajoling his new teammates.

Alex Bruce, Owen Garvan and Jon Stead were conspicuous by their absence amid talk of their imminent departures from Portman Road.

Most Read

Town were made to work hard to find the space to create and they used a mix of long balls and short passes.

It needed a superb Brian Murphy save to keep the scores level in the 37th minute after Chris Henderson went free after a neat move. Scott Chaplin was unable to force home the rebound as Murphy made a quick-fire double save.

Four minutes later an error by Neil Andrews put Jon Walters into space, and from his pass Tamas Priskin went clear to see his close range shot blocked by Marcus Garnham.

Shane O’Connor moved to midfield after the break with Kennedy coming on at left back, and within three minutes Priskin’s downward header from Jaime Peters’ cross was collected by Garnham.

Badly in need of a goal, �1.76million Priskin then dispossessed Roscoe Hipperson but fluffed his shot with only the keeper to beat.

Ipswich were now in charge and McAuley had a 61st minute header cleared off the line by Ashley Sloots. Garnham then made a brilliant save from a Grant Leadbitter piledriver, but a goal had to come and in the 63rd minute Carlos Edwards’ right wing cross was headed low into the net by McAuley.

Jon Walters failed to beat substitute keeper Nick Pope when put through by Priskin as Town ended on top against a Bury side that used 10 second half substitutions.


Bury Town: Garnham, Short, Coulson, Steward, Nunn, Bullard, Chaplin, Andrews, Leabon, Kearns, Henderson. Subs: Pope, Sloots, Hippersson, Nurse, Reed, McLaughlan, Hitchings, Nugent, Curry, and Hall all used during second half.

Ipswich Town: Murphy, Peters, O’Connor (Lambe 63), Hyam, McAuley, Smith, Walters, Hourihan (Kennedy 46), Priskin, Leadbitter, Edwards. Subs: McLoughlan, Brown, Ainsley.

Referee: Mr C Fitch (Ipswich)

Attendance: 1,025.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter