Glorious goals and 20 assists – Jay Emmanuel-Thomas outlines his targets for season ahead
Ipswich v Blackburn: Michael Chopra might have publicly declared that he wants 30 goals this season.
But his team-mate, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is more interested in being the provider on the eve of the 2012/13 season.
Asked if he has any targets ahead of the new Championship campaign, JET said: “I want to score goals from anywhere. Once I go past the halfway line, I am going to shoot.
“I also want to get about 20 assists for the season – and I already have two.”
Emmanuel-Thomas knows he needs to find more consistency in the months ahead after his first season at Portman Road saw the best and worst of the youngster.
You may also want to watch:
But in a word of warning to Bradley Orr, the Blackburn full-back who should be tasked of stopping the former Arsenal man this afternoon, JET said: “My job is to get the ball, give the left-back hassle, and do what I do.
“If I’m getting him going back towards his own goal, it also stops him going forward because he will get caught out.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward
“I think over the course of last season, my form was determined a lot by how fit I was and how leggy I got during games.
“The manager has to pick the team based on who is 100%. But this season, I’m not in the state I was last year. This is the fittest I have been in my career.”
While a far great emphasis has been placed this summer on new faces arriving, Town fans had to put up with speculation linking Emmanuel-Thomas with a move back to the Premier League, namely Fulham.
But the attacker, who moved from Arsenal 12 months ago, revealed: “Where I grew up in London was not the best of neighbourhoods.
“I still go back there as I have family and friends who don’t want to leave.
“But where I live now is different – quiet and relaxing. When I go home to London, it just headache noise and police sirens.
“And if I really want that noise, it only takes me an hour and a half. But I prefer staying here.
“I also love playing here, we have a good bunch of boys and the new guys have settled in well. It is going to be a good season.”