Good news for Town pair as reserves lose
INJURED stars Damien Delaney and Luca Civelli returned to the pitch for Ipswich Town in a reserve game loss to Oxford United this afternoon.
Ipswich Town Res 0 Oxford United Res 2
TWO of Ipswich Town’s injured stars returned to action in Wednesday’s Combination fixture against Oxford United at Portman Road.
Damien Delaney and Luca Civelli successfully came through 45 minutes of competitive action against a lively and well organised Oxford outfit.
Oxford took the lead in the fifth minute when Sam Deering saw his curling free-kick from the left deflect into the net off home skipper Jack Ainsley leaving Arran Lee-Barrett flat-footed.
The visitors increased their lead in the 36th minute with a flowing move and spectacular finish. Mitchell Cole’s cross from the left was headed back into the danger zone by Alfie Potter and Richie Baker volleyed powerfully into the corner of the net from 15 yards.
Substitute Josh Carson saw his low shot well saved by Eastwood in the 67th minute as Ipswich stepped up a gear.
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 4 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 9 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
The busy Ronan Murray went close and Carson and Colin Healey had late shots saved but Oxford held onto their two-goal advantage.
- See tomorrow’s paper for a full report and more pictures.