Grant Leadbitter: I let the lads down
GRANT Leadbitter has shouldered the blame for the Blues’ failure to beat Middlesbrough last night.
The midfielder scored his fourth goal in as many matches to rescue a point against the promotion-chasers in a largely drab 1-1 draw.
But it could have been so much better for Town if Leadbitter had not seen his penalty saved by Boro’s Jason Steele 15 minutes earlier.
In between, Lucas Jutkiewicz grabbed the opening goal before the midfielder scored a cracking equaliser to leave himself with mixed emotions after the match.
Leadbitter said: “I feel I let the lads down with my penalty miss – we would have won 2-1 if I had scored. It was a good save by the keeper but I wanted to redeem myself.
“It was a good strike for the equaliser and I have been on a run of late. I have always felt I had a good shot and lately it has paid off.”
Leadbitter admitted he felt fortunate to go straight back into the team following a one-match suspension, but he once again excelled as he fights for a new contract in the summer.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 3 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 4 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 5 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 6 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 7 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 10 Here's what Town fans are saying about Keogh signing
He said: “I knew when I came back into the team, I had to stake my claim again. I feel like my form this season has been pretty good.
“But when you are losing games, someone gets pinpointed. Now we are winning, I don’t feel like I am playing any better, but I am getting the plaudits.”
Leadbitter’s equaliser and overall performance earned him praise from manager Paul Jewell who described his side’s overall performance as “flat”.
But of Leadbitter, the boss said: “You have to say he has been terrific of late and it looks like he has got goals in him. He’s playing well and showed character after missing the penalty – it was a great goal.”