Grant Leadbitter not guaranteed a place in Paul Jewell’s team
HE might now be fully fit, but Blues skipper Grant Leadbitter has been told he can’t expect to simply walk back into the Town team.
Since Leadbitter limped off with a groin strain in the closing minutes at home to Reading, Paul Jewell has ditched the diamond and moved back to an orthodox 4-4-2 formation.
This has allowed Keith Andrews, captaining the side in Leadbitter’s absence, and Lee Bowyer to shine in the centre of the park.
And following the second-half heroics against Barnsley, the 25-year-old captain wasn’t even able to gain a place on the bench for last week’s 1-0 win over Derby.
But Jewell said: “Grant is a bit unfortunate but you can only pick five subs. Sometimes you get out of the team and it is difficult to change things. “Lee Bowyer and Keith Andrews have done very well in the middle of the park.
You may also want to watch:
“Grant is a terrific professional, he trains to the best of his ability every day, which is what I want everyone to do – and they all do.”
With Jewell impressing on his players the importance of performing in training, Leadbitter will be hoping to be at least on the bench for the Boxing Day clash at big-spending Leicester.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic