Grant Leadbitter will be my captain on Saturday – if selected
PAUL Jewell has reiterated his backing of Grant Leadbitter as Ipswich Town captain – even if he thinks the captaincy in football is “overrated”.
Leadbitter’s form this season has led some to question whether he should be rested and stripped of the armband.
But Jewell has moved to silence the doubters by insisting he has every confidence in the midfielder’s ability to lead the team.
The manager said: “Grant is never going to be the loudest, but you can never question his work rate or endeavour.
“He leads by example rather than being someone who shakes his fist and goes around shouting or bawling.”
You may also want to watch:
Jewell told yesterday’s press conference that Leadbitter would be captain against Reading tomorrow, but only if selected – with the Town boss typically refusing to give anything away 48 hours before kick off.
Keith Andrews is expected to be back in contention after recovering from his broken nose, meaning the Town boss has a difficult decision to make, both in terms of personnel and the way his midfield shapes up.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
And with regards to who wears the armband, Jewell admitted: “The captaincy is overrated in football – it’s not like cricket or rugby.”