Double-winning striker reveals Town interest
- Credit: PA
St Johnstone's Israeli striker Guy Melamed has apparently confirmed that he's had interest from Ipswich Town and League One rivals Sunderland as he contemplates his future.
Melamed, 28, scored seven goals in 23 games for the Saints this season as they won an historic cup double in Scotland.
And the striker, who's out of contract this summer and will now return to Israel to weigh up his options, told the Daily Record that Town are among the clubs chasing his signature.
He said: ”I heard from my agent. He told me there is interest.
“It's very flattering to me. I'll have to sit down with my agent and look at all the proposals.
"I will return home. I will be with my family, I will enjoy some of the time in the country because I have not been there for many months.
“I will examine the proposals and decide what is the best place for me.
"I do not rule out (Israel), but on the other hand my direction is to continue abroad."
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
Asked if he'd consider returning to St Johnstone, he replied: "Absolutely. It's an amazing place that has given me the opportunity to introduce myself in Europe and I hope we can bridge our gaps in negotiations and conditions.
“We have put together a legendary season, the best season in the history of the club and the club wants all the staff to continue. I strongly believe in the club."
Town will certainly be looking to add strikers this summer after a season in which they struggled to score.
Last week, they were 'pipped' to the signature of former Academy product Jordan Rhodes, who opted to return to Huddersfield in the Championship.