Hadleigh strengthen ahead of Blues clash
HADLEIGH United have further strengthened their squad with the signing of three former FA Vase finalists ahead of tomorrow’s friendly against an Ipswich Town XI.
Stuart Crawford, who has taken over as manager of the Ridgeons League Premier Division side this season, has signed Brett Girling, Simon Hyde and Lee Owen, who all played for AFC Sudbury in the FA Vase final when the club reached three in a row between 2003 and 2005.
Defender Girling was Leiston’s Players’ Player of the Year last season while defender or midfielder Hyde joins from Cornard United. Midfielder Owen has played for Ipswich Wanderers and Tiptree United since leaving Sudbury.
Hadleigh have also signed striker Ben Deacon, who started last season with Debenham LC before moving to Mildenhall Town, and right back Scott Welton, who was with Stowmarket Town.
Crawford said: “I have managed to get all the players I targeted, so the squad is where I wanted it to be.
With the players we have got it promises to be an exciting season, and I feel we will be eighth, if not better.”
Several of the new signings are expected to feature in tomorrow’s match along with Chris Dennett, the left-sided midfielder who helped Hadleigh gain promotion in 2008/09 but did not play last season.
- 1 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 2 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 6 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 7 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
The match kicks-off at 3pm at Hadleigh’s Millfield ground and admission is �5 for adults and �2 for concessions.