Harry Redknapp phones Paul Jewell over Ipswich Town job
PAUL Jewell has revealed that he received a call from Harry Redknapp just 24 hours after rumours broke that the former Spurs man was in line to take over from the beleaguered Blues boss.
Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at home to Charlton Athletic left Jewell under fresh pressure after just two wins in Town’s last 13 league games over last season and this.
Prior to the match with the Addicks, it was reported that some leading bookmakers had stopped taking bets on Redknapp’s next job being the Portman Road hot-seat.
This prompted chief executive Simon Clegg to give Jewell a vote of confidence ahead of Saturday’s trip to Barnsley.
Now, in an interview with BBC Radio Suffolk, Jewell has revealed he actually received a call from Redknapp to clarify the situation.
You may also want to watch:
Jewell said: “Harry rang me last Sunday and said there was absolutely no truth in it.
“I said: ‘You didn’t have to make the phone call, Harry, because if Marcus was going to make a change, I think he’d tell me first’ and it was fine.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward
“The only worrying thing was at the end of the conversation he asked me what the best areas to live were!”