Heat is on for Jim
JIM Magilton admits that more will be expected of him at Portman Road in the coming months.
By ELVIN KING
And Magilton is also expecting to wave goodbye to Welsh international Gavin Williams, who has agreed terms for a move away from Portman Road.
Ipswich Town are keeping tight-lipped on the club in question, but sources in the west country suggest that it is fellow Coca-Cola Championship Bristol City.
A fee has been agreed with Town and understood to be more than the £300,000 Joe Royle paid West Ham for 28-year-old Williams' capture.
Williams, who has a year on his Ipswich contract to run and turned down an extension offer last season, was understood to be undergoing a medical yesterday.
- 1 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 2 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 3 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 4 Andy Warren: Why keeping Sam Morsy is vital for Ipswich Town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 7 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 8 Suffolk celebrates! Full list of county's 185 street parties for the Queen's jubilee
- 9 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 10 Plans for 115 homes in village gets backing to move forward
Magilton said: “Gavin's a very good player but I think he'll look back on his time here with a sense of unfulfilled potential.
“At times he looked fantastic and on his day he was as good as any midfielder in the division, but injury curtailed his performances and limited his opportunities.
“We didn't see enough of his best form and he always had enormous potential.
“He's a lively lad and you need personalities like that at a football club.
“It takes all sorts of personalities and if he settles down and gets games under his belt, he'll become a very good player again. We wish him well.”
Apart from Williams, Republic of Ireland squad members Alex Bruce and Owen Garvan were missing from training yesterday with more work being undertaken today before Town head for Loughborough University on Monday to spend five days of intensive training.