Heat is on for Jim
JIM Magilton admits that more will be expected of him at Portman Road in the coming months.
By ELVIN KING
And Magilton is also expecting to wave goodbye to Welsh international Gavin Williams, who has agreed terms for a move away from Portman Road.
Ipswich Town are keeping tight-lipped on the club in question, but sources in the west country suggest that it is fellow Coca-Cola Championship Bristol City.
You may also want to watch:
A fee has been agreed with Town and understood to be more than the £300,000 Joe Royle paid West Ham for 28-year-old Williams' capture.
Williams, who has a year on his Ipswich contract to run and turned down an extension offer last season, was understood to be undergoing a medical yesterday.
- 1 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 2 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 4 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 8 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 9 Four miles of queues after A12 collision
- 10 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
Magilton said: “Gavin's a very good player but I think he'll look back on his time here with a sense of unfulfilled potential.
“At times he looked fantastic and on his day he was as good as any midfielder in the division, but injury curtailed his performances and limited his opportunities.
“We didn't see enough of his best form and he always had enormous potential.
“He's a lively lad and you need personalities like that at a football club.
“It takes all sorts of personalities and if he settles down and gets games under his belt, he'll become a very good player again. We wish him well.”
Apart from Williams, Republic of Ireland squad members Alex Bruce and Owen Garvan were missing from training yesterday with more work being undertaken today before Town head for Loughborough University on Monday to spend five days of intensive training.