Holland says Town will get lift from Jewell appointment
FORMER Ipswich Town skipper Matt Holland believes the appointment of Paul Jewell will give Town a lift – certainly over the next few weeks.
The ex-midfielder, who starts a new run of his TV football programme tonight, said: “Whether the appointment will prove to be the right one only time will tell but in the short term I do believe the team will react positively to the change by picking up points in their relegation battle.
“Some players were well out of the picture under Roy Keane but they have a fresh start now and that could spark everyone into life.
“So many times we see an upsurge in effort from teams who have a new manager and most times that’s simply down to renewed optimism among the fringe players.
“They won’t be resigned to anything now and that can lead to a greater intensity in training and matches.
You may also want to watch:
“I was a little surprised that the new boss didn’t take charge of the Arsenal game but his players knew he was watching and there was no better time to provide a good show with a place at Wembley also at stake.”
Holland has done his own interview for BBC’s Football League magazine show Late Kick Off that is being screened at 11.10pm tonight.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
Holland will be joined in the studio each week by former Norwich City star Dion Dublin.
He added: “It’s great to be back and the second series looks set to be stronger than ever.”
Late Kick Off complements the success of the network highlights programme the Football League Show along with live coverage of ten League matches during the season and the Carling Cup semi-finals and final.