Hughes nets only goal as Under 23s win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Tommy Hughes scored the only goal of the game as Ipswich Town’s Under 23s beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 this afternoon.
The creative midfielder struck on 78 minutes to help the young Blues take all three points at Wednesday’s Middlewood Road training ground.
Wednesday are coached by former Ipswich left-back Neil Thompson.
Victory takes the young Blues back to the top of the Professional Development League Two South table, where they lead Bristol City on goal difference. The Robins have a game in hand, though.
Town’s Under 23s were, until yesterday, managed by Kieron Dyer, prior to the former England international’s resignation.
Former Ipswich defender John McGreal remains part of the Town coaching staff.
The Under 23s’ next game is at home to Hull City on April 5.
- 1 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 2 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 5 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
- 6 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 7 'New-look' Aldi store set to reopen in Sudbury, creating additional jobs
- 8 Bent names Town stars among his best-ever team-mates
- 9 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 10 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
Ipswich Town Under 23s: White, Agbaje, Smith, Alexander (c), Kabongolo, Bradshaw, Ward, Humphreys, Curtis, Chirewa, Hughes. Subs: Cullum, H Barbrook, Manly, Buabo, Nwabueze.