I can be Town creative force – Luke Hyam backs himself to win new contract at Ipswich
Ipswich v Bristol Rovers: Luke Hyam has backed himself to do the business this season and win a long-term deal with his hometown club.
The 20-year-old is set to become a key part of Paul Jewell’s new “young and hungry” set-up with his midfield partnership with Spurs loanee Massimo Luongo starting to excite.
They should get their first competitive run-out in tonight’s first round of the Capital One Cup when Bristol Rovers visit Portman Road (7.45pm ko).
Just four days before the Championship opener against Blackburn and following the departure of old-stager Jimmy Bullard, Hyam is ready to once and for all prove he can be part of the Blues’ present – and future as he enters the final year of his contract.
He insisted: “Without a doubt, I feel I now know what to expect from Championship football. I am getting more experience under my belt and the more games I play the better I will get.
You may also want to watch:
“The manager has told me he wants me to look further forward, be more creative and get on the ball more and find people like Lee (Martin) and Chops (Michael Chopra) as soon as possible.
“I think defensively I am pretty good but I definitely want to work on my attacking side as well.”
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Hyam’s partnership with Luongo, 19, has shown great promise in successive friendly wins over West Ham and Colchester United.
Of his young team mate, Hyam said: “Since he has come into the building he has impressed all the players and staff and done really well. I am enjoying playing with him.
“There are a lot of good young players, like Joshy Carson and Ronan (Murray), and hopefully they will get a chance. All the boys are raring to go, we just want to get the season underway and push on and have a good season.”
While fans will be delighted by Hyam getting his chance, Jewell reiterated his desire yesterday to bring in three new signings – but refused to comment on continued speculation linking him with Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu.