I haven’t done enough to help Paul Jewell admits Daryl Murphy
Brighton v Ipswich: Goalscorer Daryl Murphy hailed the Blues’ 1-1 draw with former table-toppers Brighton – then admitted he hasn’t done enough to save Paul Jewell’s job yet.
Brave Ipswich made it two quick-fire draws on the road last night – but actually edged closer to the foot of the Championship after Peterborough’s away win at Barnsley.
The pressure remains on Paul Jewell after the run of winless games stretched to eight, but he will take great heart as his side went toe-to-toe with the Championship’s best last night.
Murphy, whose first-half goal was cancelled out by Will Buckley’s 80th- minute equaliser, said: “That was probably our best performance of the season.
“I thought we were excellent in the first half and then in the second half we defended very well when they pinned us back.”
You may also want to watch:
The Republic of Ireland international could have given the under-pressure Blues only their second win of the season, but for a missed header before his goal and a fantastic save from one-time Town target Tomasz Kuszczak in the second half.
Murphy admitted his third loan spell in Suffolk has been largely underwhelming so far and now hopes his first goal of the season will be the catalyst for greater things.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
He added: “I was pleased with my performance, but I haven’t been consistent enough. I am disappointed with how I have played in the last few games before last night.
“I haven’t played as well as I could and I need to show more to the gaffer.”