I need to get the mix right – Jewell
PAUL Jewell has conceded that the mix of his team is still not right – and pledged to focus on bringing in the right young players to complement the big names in his squad.
And that mission could start within the next seven days, with the Blues boss admitting he is “not ruling out” any more loan deals before the window closes next Thursday.
Jewell has already brought in 13 players since June but he is still searching for the right balance.
He said: “We have some really good experienced players. We want the right mix of youth and experience and at the moment we are probably a little top-heavy with experience.
“I am not ruling out any more loan deals. I spoke to a couple of managers last week about a couple of players, but no one wants to let anyone go. We will have to wait and see but we are definitely on the look-out.”
You may also want to watch:
The Town manager has a week to bring in any more loan players for the hectic Christmas programme before the January transfer window opens.
But with the possible exception of Doncaster striker Billy Sharp, supporters might be disappointed if they are hoping to see more big names arriving in the New Year.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
Jewell said: “We are targeting players for the future – I know people don’t always want to hear that. That doesn’t mean to say those experienced players won’t be here, but we need some young ‘Cressies’ (Aaron Cresswell).
“I look at the leagues and see the gems that are out there. And if we are looking hard enough at home and abroad, we will bring in the quality players that we want.
“I do feel this is a job that needs doing over a period of time. We want to do as well as we can this season, but we need some young bodies in the building for next season.”