I won’t rush into signing new players says Paul Jewell
I won’t panic buy.
That is the assertion of Blues boss Paul Jewell who admits he won’t rush into strengthening his spine as the clamour for new signings grows among supporters.
Teenage defender Elliott Hewitt is the only addition so far to last season’s underperforming squad and the silence over a first team goalkeeper and at least one new centre back has been deafening.
But while frustrated by the search for new players, Jewell has today issued a rallying cry to Town fans calling on them to keep calm and remain patient.
He said: “Not many deals get done so early in the summer and we’re in no rush anyway. It’s important to get the right players on the right terms. “Supporters always want to see new faces arriving and I’m as impatient as anyone, more so, in trying to bring players here, but you have to remain patient.
You may also want to watch:
“Signing players is a complicated business nowadays. It’s just the way it is.
“Yes, in an ideal world I’d like to have all our players in place by the time we return to pre-season training in July but we don’t live in an ideal world.”
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Jewell has played down much of the speculation that has engulfed Town – and other clubs – since the season ended, even though a new striker, central midfield and a winger is also believed to be among his priorities.
He added: “It’s that time of the year when speculation takes over. Most of the stories are wrong but we are working hard behind the scenes to get things done.
“That hard work has been going on long before the season ended in identifying our targets and we are moving forward with trying to bring players to the club – and have been for a while.”