Ibrahima Sonko faces up to a month out with dislocated rib
IPSWICH Town defender Ibrahima Sonko is facing up to a month on the sidelines after dislocating a rib.
The centre-back fell awkwardly during Saturday’s home game against Middlesbrough, the game subsequently abandoned in the 38th minute with referee Dean Whitestone concerned for player safety on a frozen strip of pitch.
“He’s dislocated his rib,” revealed Jewell. “He’s probably looking at two to four weeks out we think. He’s very sore and tender at the moment. “It’s a blow for us because just as we seem to build a bit of momentum we lose another centre-half.”
Damien Delaney will come into the side to play at Portsmouth tomorrow night. He and Tommy Smith – who conceded six goals in two games last August – are the club’s only fit senior centre-backs.
Meanwhile, Lee Bowyer has returned to training following a groin problem. However, Jewell says the veteran midfielder needs a game before he can be considered for the first team.
You may also want to watch:
“He hasn’t played since the Forest game which was four or five weeks ago,” said the Blues boss.
“We’d like to get him some game time between now and the end of the week, eleven v eleven. He’s had a few little twinges but I think he’s fine now.”
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson