Identical Weston twins find football success after Ipswich
IDENTICAL twins who failed to reach the heights with Ipswich Town have made a big success of their subsequent footballing lives.
Kenny and Matt Weston were on Ipswich’s books between 1992 and 1995 without making a competitive first team appearance.
They are now involved in coaching having set up a company called Westonprosoccer with Kenny current based in Australia and Matt in the USA.
At the time they were believed to be the only identical twins to have been offered professional contracts with John Lyall offering them deals before they were both released when George Burley took over as Town manager in the 1995-96 season.
Kenny went on to join Preston North End and Matt Stockport County before they embarked on coaching careers that took them to Connecticut, USA where they first set up Westonprosoccer.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to provide a pathway for young players in the States to play club football and progress through to college teams,” said Kenny.
“In 2008 I moved to Australia to further my coaching education and won the Boys’ Under-15’s national championships for Football West.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 10 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
“It was the first time in 36 years that this has been achieved from a state team representing Western Australia.
“Players under my tutelage have played in the Australian A League and some females are playing for the Matilda’s (Australian National Soccer team) who will be playing in the World Cup this year.”
Matt runs the business full-time in the States and has coached at College level and professional level.
Last year he was named technical director of FC New York who will compete in the US Pro Division, which is one tier down from the MLS.
“We have both spent time with ex-Ipswich player Frank Yallop, who has coaching success in the States with LA Galaxy and now San Jose Earthquakes,” added Kenny.
“Our next business venture is to set up a recruitment companies in the USA/Australia and UK to recruit the best 17-19 year olds to get a scholarship in the USA to play soccer with opportunities to play professionally.
“We both want to pursue our dream of coaching in the MLS and to continue growing our business to give young footballers a dream that one day they can make it to professional level and become the best that they can be.”
HAVE you any memories of the Weston twins? If so please let us know by e-mailing email@example.com or write to sports department, Evening Star, 30, Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN.