Town closing in on loan deal for Preston attacker Harrop
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town are closing in on a loan deal for Preston attacker Josh Harrop, we understand.
The Blues have been chasing the 25-year-old for the last few weeks and Preston have now decided they are happy for him to depart on loan, meaning he could potentially complete his move to Ipswich as early as today.
Preston's signing of Doncaster midfielder Ben Whiteman has freed the Deepdale side up to allow Harrop to move temporarily, with Hull also understood to have shown interest.
Harrop was left out of North End’s 2-0 loss at Bristol City on Saturday and could now become manager Paul Lambert’s first signing of the January transfer window.
The former Manchester United youngster is primarily a No.10 and it’s understood this is where he has been earmarked to play for Ipswich, as Lambert looks to add creativity to his ranks.
You may also want to watch:
He can also play in wide roles, with much of his football at Preston coming from the left, and while his versatility will be an asset it’s understood the Blues are looking to add a specialist winger this month.
That could still be Barnsley’s Luke Thomas, who we revealed the Blues were targeting before the end of the year, although Tykes boss Valerian Ismael has hinted in recent days he may be keen to keep hold of the former Derby man.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 3 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 4 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 5 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 6 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 7 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 8 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 9 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 10 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
Harrop’s arrival will mean Town must leave a senior player, aged 21 or over, out of their squad for salary cap reasons, but the fact Thomas is under the senior age limit means he can be added on top of what Town currently have.