Ipswich face trip west in Carling Cup
IPSWICH Town have been drawn away at League Two side Shrewsbury Town in the first round of the Carling Cup.
IPSWICH Town have been drawn against League Two Shrewsbury Town in the first round of the Carling Cup.
The game is to be played at the New Stadium in the week commencing August 10.
The Shrews finished seventh in the table last season and are managed by Paul Simpson, the former Rochdale, Carlisle and Preston boss.
Town have played Shrewsbury once before in the competition drawing 1-1 away in round two and winning 3-0 at home in 1990/91.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich have not played a league match against Shrewsbury since they won 2-0 at Portman Road in Division Two in 1988/89.
They have met them four times in the FA Cup, winning 4-1 at home in 1966/67 (third round), winning 3-0 at home after a 0-0 draw away in 1980/81 (fourth round), losing 2-1 away (fifth round) in 1981/82 and losing 2-0 away (fourth round) in 1983/84.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
George Burley suffered a severe knee injury in the 1980/81 game at Gay Meadow and was out for the rest of the season missing the UEFA Cup final and the FA Cup semi-final.
Last season Town beat Leyton Orient 4-1 and Colchester United 2-1 both at home before losing 4-1 at Portman Road in the third round to Premier League Wigan.
Colchester United come up against former manager Geraint Williams when they play Leyton Orient at the Community Stadium while Norwich City visit Yeovil Town.