Ipswich: Michael Chopra leaves Twitter after posting picture of cash
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town striker Michael Chopra appears to have deleted his account on social networking site Twitter after posting this picture of a bag stuffed with money.
The accompanying message to the photograph read: ‘Keep tweeting me about being in debt haha love it #cash #skint #lol #lendmeafiver.’
Blues team mate Jay Emmanuel-Thomas – who last week posted a picture of a bible that someone had sent to Chopra – then wrote: ‘Michael Chopra Your A Clown’.
Chopra, 29, revealed the extent of a gambling addiction in November 2011, speaking publicly about how he had been spending up to £20,000-a-day and lost as much as £2m.
It emerged the following month, that Ipswich Town had loaned Chopra a £250,000 to pay off debts that he owed.
You may also want to watch:
The player spent three weeks in the Sporting Chance Clinic in an attempt to beat the addiction last season and, having spoken about how well he had been doing, returned from a specialist training camp in California last summer with the promise of a 20-goal season for the Blues.
The 29-year-old has made just 11 starts this season though, scoring three goals, and at the end of last week was found to have been part of a conspiracy involving corruption and betting exchanges by a British Horse Authority disciplinary panel – the charges relating to incidents that occurred during his time as a Cardiff player.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 7 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 8 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
Recently, Chopra’s ex-wife pleaded exceptional hardship against a speeding ban – saying she wouldn’t be able to send her son to school in a taxi.
Heather Swan made the revelations when she appeared at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court, claiming that Chopra was on the verge of bankruptcy.
Last month, Chopra released a statement saying that he would not be defending himself against the BHA charges as he could not afford to cover the legal costs.
Chopra’s Twitter account – @MichaelChopra10 – had almost 15,000 followers. Earlier today he had also posted a picture of himself playing for Newcastle United in the Champions League earlier in his career.