Rekeem Harper completes Ipswich Town switch
- Credit: ITFC
Ipswich Town have completed the signing of West Brom midfielder Rekeem Harper.
A deal for the 21-year-old box-to-box midfielder - believed to be around £500k with the potential to rise to £1m - was struck two weeks ago, but then put on hold due to uncertainty at the Baggies.
The West Midlands club finally appointed a new boss yesterday, Valérien Ismaël recruited from Barnsley, and Harper's switch was finally rubberstamped.
Harper has signed a three-year deal, with the option of a fourth, and becomes the club's third signing of the summer after Wes Burns and Lee Evans.
A former England Under-19 international, Harper made his debut in the Premier League at the age of 17 and, following a loan spell with Blackburn in League One, was named the Baggies' Young Player of the Year following a fourth place finish in the Championship.
He spent the second half of last season on loan at Championship club Birmingham City, playing his part in their successful fight to beat the drop.
“I feel like it’s a perfect opportunity for me to come and settle in an environment and help a team that shares the same goal as me - getting to the top," Harper told the club website.
- 1 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 2 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 3 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 4 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 6 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 9 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 10 Hadleigh dad fights to reverse diabetes diagnosis
“This move shows my motivation and I can't wait to get started with the group.”
Town boss Paul Cook added: “In Rekeem, we have a really good lad and someone who believes in everything we have spoken about.
“He knows the challenge that lies ahead and I am thrilled that he has chosen to join us.”
Town chief executive Mark Ashton added: "We're delighted to bring in a player of Rekeem's quality.
"We've been working on this deal for the past few weeks and we're delighted to get it across the line."