Town appoint new fitness coach as work continues regarding goalkeeping specialist
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Paul Hurst has added to his Ipswich Town staff with the appointment of a new fitness coach and continues work to add a goalkeeping specialist to his staff.
Hurst introduced new fitness coach Nathan Winder at his press conference this morning, with the 35-year-old having most recently worked with Paul Heckingbottom at both Barnsley and then Leeds.
He acted as head of academy athletic development at Oakwell before moving to Elland Road as head of sports science, having represented Halifax, Chesterfield and Hucknall during his playing days before studying sports science at Loughborough University.
Winder replaces Andy Liddell, who opted to move on at the end of last season having worked at Ipswich under both Mick McCarthy and Paul Jewell.
“Our new fitness coach is here today, stood there at the back of the room smiling,” Hurst said as he introduced his newest member of staff.
“Nathan Winder worked at Barnsley and Leeds under Paul Heckingbottom. He comes very highly recommended. He’s another Yorkshireman – we’re not trying to take over the area! It’s important you click with people and speaking to him and how he works he is very much aligned to what we did last season (at Shrewsbury) and what we’ll be looking to introduce here.”
The Blues must also find a new coach to work with the club’s senior goalkeepers, following the retirement of Malcolm Webster, with a potential option already at the club.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
“On the goalie coach I am meeting Darren Smith (formerly Webster’s assistant) later.
“I want to get to know a little bit more about who else is in the system in terms of coaches, but I’ve heard very good things.
“I haven’t promised Darren anything and we’ll see how that progresses, but at the minute he’ll be working with the keepers when we come back for pre-season.”