Waghorn or Garner? McCarthy has a tough call to make for Middlesbrough
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has a decision to make.
The return of Joe Garner from injury means McCarthy faces a choice - bring Garner straight back into the side or continue with Martyn Waghorn as a central striker following two impressive performances against Derby and Nottingham Forest.
McCarthy is pleased to have Garner available again after missing the last two games with a foot injury, but was also supremely impressed with Waghorn’s performances when he was played in a central role.
“I have,” McCarthy said, when asked whether he has a tough call to make.
“He’s been great hasn’t he (Waghorn)? He’s done everything that Joe had done in terms of being a physical presence.
“If we are playing that one up front at least we know we’ve got two of them now who can do it pretty comfortably, which is great. They can play together or play on their own.”
Of Garner’s return, McCarthy said: “Joe has trained - he trained yesterday and trained fully today and got involved with the ball,” McCarthy said.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
“He’s done everything we’ve wanted him to do so he’s travelling, he’s in the squad.
“Thankfully we didn’t miss him. I get those questions every week and, every time, I say I hope we don’t and we haven’t. It’s damn good to have him back, though.”
Who should lead the line for the Blues at Middlesbrough? Cast your vote in our poll