Waghorn or Garner? McCarthy has a tough call to make for Middlesbrough
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has a decision to make.
The return of Joe Garner from injury means McCarthy faces a choice - bring Garner straight back into the side or continue with Martyn Waghorn as a central striker following two impressive performances against Derby and Nottingham Forest.
McCarthy is pleased to have Garner available again after missing the last two games with a foot injury, but was also supremely impressed with Waghorn’s performances when he was played in a central role.
“I have,” McCarthy said, when asked whether he has a tough call to make.
“He’s been great hasn’t he (Waghorn)? He’s done everything that Joe had done in terms of being a physical presence.
You may also want to watch:
“If we are playing that one up front at least we know we’ve got two of them now who can do it pretty comfortably, which is great. They can play together or play on their own.”
Of Garner’s return, McCarthy said: “Joe has trained - he trained yesterday and trained fully today and got involved with the ball,” McCarthy said.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
“He’s done everything we’ve wanted him to do so he’s travelling, he’s in the squad.
“Thankfully we didn’t miss him. I get those questions every week and, every time, I say I hope we don’t and we haven’t. It’s damn good to have him back, though.”
Who should lead the line for the Blues at Middlesbrough? Cast your vote in our poll