Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy misses out on manager of the month award
- Credit: Archant
IPSWICH Town manager Mick McCarthy has missed out on scooping the Championship manager of the month award for December, losing out to Hull City boss Steve Bruce.
In only his second month in charge at Portman Road, McCarthy enjoyed a superb December, winning four matches – including three victories on the road – while drawing one and losing just once.
The Blues boss, who is actually third when it comes to points accrued in December, was subsequently nominated along with Bruce and Cardiff manager Malky Mackay yesterday.
But today it was confirmed Bruce, who steered his Hull side to five wins and a draw last month, was awarded the accolade.
Speaking in his pre-match press conference yesterday, McCarthy joked he actually wanted Mackay to win the award ahead of Town’s clash away to the runaway league leaders tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Let’s hope they give it to Malky, as it normally means they screw up at the weekend! It’s nice (to be nominated), but I’m not bothered.
“It tells us that we have had a good month and the lads have played well. But they won’t give it to me anyway because the other two have done better than me.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 3 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
Meanwhile, new Town striker David McGoldrick, who joined on loan for the rest of the season from Nottingham Forest last week, was announced as the League One player of the month for December.
The 25-year-old forward scored 18 goals in 25 games during a loan spell at Coventry this season and is the top scorer in League One with 16.
McCarthy hopes to make McGoldrick’s move a permanent one in the summer.