Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy welcomes Cole Skuse’s versatility
- Credit: Archant
Mick McCarthy has welcomed the versatility of Cole Skuse after welcoming the former Bristol City captain to the ranks at pre-season training, on Monday.
The Bristolian has signed a three-year deal at Portman Road and is expected to challenge for one of two central midfield spots next season.
However, the 27-year-old is also adept at filling in at right-back and McCarthy believes such versatility is crucial with teams tending to operate with smaller squads.
“Cole is a really good character, he was captain there and is a talented, tall and rangy midfielder,” said McCarthy.
“He is certainly versatile and can fill in at right-back and that helps if you are going to be having a squad of 20-22 players.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a good guy and I have not heard a bad word about him.”
Skuse is not the only versatile player within the Town ranks.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
Primarily a centre-half, Luke Chambers can fill in at right-back, as can club captain Carlos Edwards, while left-back Tyrone Mings can play at the heart of the defence.
Jay Tabb, who made such an impact on the left-hand side of midfield last season, can also move across to the centre, while Daryl Murphy has the ability to play in attack as well as in Tabb’s favoured role out wide.