Ipswich Town boss still keen on new signings
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy has revealed he is still trying to bring new faces to Portman Road before the transfer window closes at 11pm on August 31.
McCarthy has brought in Adam Webster, Conor Grant (loan) and Grant Ward this summer, while agreeing to sign Paul Digby on a permanent basis and re-signing free agent Luke Varney.
“I’m trying to get a couple more in, they might be loan deals or people who are out of contract,” the Blues manager told talkSPORT.
“There’s a lot of people spending a lot of money and it all seems to have doubled up. The Premier League football seems to have doubled or trebled, but the players haven’t got three times better.
“And the players that they’re buying in the Championship haven’t got two or three times better either.
You may also want to watch:
“So we’ve competed with them in the past and I fully expect we’ll compete with them this year, whether we’ll spend a load of money or not. And that’s my belief all the time.”
One target could be free agent striker Leon Best, who played for an hour an scored in Town under-23s 3-2 home defeat to Birmingham on Monday afternoon.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season