Ipswich Town boss urges youngsters to follow skipper’s lead
MICK McCarthy believes current club captain Carlos Edwards is an excellent role model for Town’s youngsters to look up to.
Five academy players, Jack Marriott, Mark Timlin, John Leddy, David October and Tom Winter, who is currently on loan at Ryman Premier League club Leiston, signed one-year deals at Portman Road in February.
McCarthy spoke in glowing terms about the quintet earlier in the season and expressed his hope that they would become first-team regulars at Portman Road in years to come.
In the meantime, the Town boss believes there is no better example than Trinidad & Tobago international, Edwards as to how footballers should conduct themselves.
“Carlos is a really good example to any young player, at 34, in the way he conducts himself and to have the levels of fitness that he has,” said the former Republic of Ireland international.
You may also want to watch:
“He comes in with a smile on his face, trains well every day and is a good person to have around the club, that’s why Paul (Jewell) made him the captain and that’s why he is still captain now.
“He does his job properly and everyone respects that.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
“He’s not demonstrative but works in a calm and collected way.”