Ipswich Town closing in on Brentford midfielder Jonathan Douglas
- Credit: PA
Experienced Brentford midfielder Jonathan Douglas thought to be undergoing medical ahead of joining The Blues at Portman Road.
We understand that the 33-year-old is currently at Playford Road seeing medics.
Douglas – capped eight times by the Republic of Ireland – captained the Bees last season, scoring eight goals in 46 appearances as the west London side finished fifth before losing to Middlesbrough in the play-off semi-finals.
Manager Mark Warburton left the club after a disagreement over a heavily statistics-based recruitment process though and new head coach Marinus Dijkhuizen had the following to say about Douglas – who still had a year left on his deal – recently: “He is not part of the squad and is training separately. There is no future for him. We decided it is better for him to move on – for his future and for the future of Brentford.”
Town play Brentford, at Griffin Park, in their Championship opener on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Douglas started his career at Blackburn before moving on to Leeds United, where he made close to 150 appearances for the Elland Road club. He then had a three-year spell at Swindon Town before joining Brentford in 2011.
Meanwhile, Ipswich have confirmed the signing of recent trialists Giles Coke and Larsen Toure, on two-year and one-year deals respectively.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season