Ipswich Town closing in on season-long loan signing of Manchester City winger Bersant Celina
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are closing in on the season-long loan signing of Manchester City winger Bersant Celina.
The EADT and Ipswich Star can corroborate this morning’s Sky Sports that the Blues have beaten stiff competition to land the Kosovo international.
Championship rivals Bolton, Leeds and QPR had all been said to be interested in the 20-year-old.
Celina played on loan at Dutch side Twente last season, scoring five goals in 30 games.
Born in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia, he moved to Norway at the age of two and represented his adopted homeland at youth level before becoming a full Kosovo international.
Having started at Norwegian side Strømsgodset – the club that Town allowed Jonathan Parr to join in 2016 – he joined Man City’s academy in 2012 before signing a three-year deal at the Etihad Stadium in 2014.
Celina, who has worked closely with Patrick Vieira in City’s Elite Development Squad, made his senior debut in January 2016, coming on as an 85th minute substitute in a 3-0 FA Cup third round win at Norwich City, then featured in games against Aston Villa, Leicester and Chelsea.
He spent last season on loan at Dutch top-flight side FC Twente, scoring five goals and producing five assists in 27 appearances.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
The Blues are hopeful of announcing his addition, as well as the £1m signing of striker Joe Garner from Rangers, before the weekend.