Ipswich Town closing in on season-long loan signing of Manchester City winger Bersant Celina
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are closing in on the season-long loan signing of Manchester City winger Bersant Celina.
The EADT and Ipswich Star can corroborate this morning’s Sky Sports that the Blues have beaten stiff competition to land the Kosovo international.
Championship rivals Bolton, Leeds and QPR had all been said to be interested in the 20-year-old.
Celina played on loan at Dutch side Twente last season, scoring five goals in 30 games.
Born in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia, he moved to Norway at the age of two and represented his adopted homeland at youth level before becoming a full Kosovo international.
Having started at Norwegian side Strømsgodset – the club that Town allowed Jonathan Parr to join in 2016 – he joined Man City’s academy in 2012 before signing a three-year deal at the Etihad Stadium in 2014.
You may also want to watch:
Celina, who has worked closely with Patrick Vieira in City’s Elite Development Squad, made his senior debut in January 2016, coming on as an 85th minute substitute in a 3-0 FA Cup third round win at Norwich City, then featured in games against Aston Villa, Leicester and Chelsea.
He spent last season on loan at Dutch top-flight side FC Twente, scoring five goals and producing five assists in 27 appearances.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 3 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 6 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 8 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 9 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 10 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
The Blues are hopeful of announcing his addition, as well as the £1m signing of striker Joe Garner from Rangers, before the weekend.