Ipswich Town confirm signing of Leon Best on a one-year deal
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have confirmed the signing of striker Leon Best on a one-year contract after the free agent impressed during a trial.
The 29-year-old – who has been capped seven times by the Republic of Ireland – was released by Rotherham this summer, but has been highly recommended to McCarthy by former Millers boss Neil Warnock.
He scored in Blues’ Under-23 defeat by Birmingham last week, his deal including the option of a further 12 months.
Best’s arrival will help fill the void left following Daryl Murphy’s £3m switch to Newcastle, though the Blues are still looking to do more business before tomorrow night’s 11pm transfer deadline.
Best started his career at Southampton and, along with David McGoldrick, was part of the Saints side that lost to Ipswich in the 2005 FA Youth Cup Final.
You may also want to watch:
Moves to Coventry, Newcastle (£1.5m) and Blackburn (£3m) followed, but injuries disrupted his time at Ewood Park and there were loan spells at Derby and Brighton before he joined Rotherham in November 2015.
His goals, including the winner at Portman Road in March, helped keep the Millers in the Championship when they looked destined for the drop.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 8 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 9 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
“Leon did well last week. I was impressed,” McCarthy told the club website.
“He knows this league. He’s got that physical presence and he will add to the options we have got up front. We are delighted to have him here.”