Ipswich Town confirm signing of striker Joe Garner on a three-year deal from Rangers
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have confirmed the signing of striker Joe Garner from Scottish Premier League club Rangers.
It’s understood the Blues will pay £750k up front and that the deal will almost certainly rise to £1m – the highest transfer fee spent by Mick McCarthy during his four-and-a-half years in charge at Portman Road.
The 29-year-old, who has penned a three-year deal, told the club website: “I’ve nearly come here a few times before. I spoke to the manager a couple of times and was over-the-moon that there was an opportunity to come down.”
Garner endured a frustrating 10-goal debut campaign at Ibrox following a £1.8m switch last summer. He was a firm favourite at his previous club of Preston though, writing himself into Lilywhites folklore with two seasons of talismanic League One form.
He will be reunited with former Nottingham Forest team-mates Luke Chambers and David McGoldrick in Suffolk.
“I’ve spoken to them both and both speak really well of the club and the manager,” he said, speaking ahead of Town’s return to pre-season training a week on Monday. “Hopefully I can settle in quickly and hit the ground running. I’m just really looking forward to it.”
Match of the Day pundit and big Preston supporter Mark Lawrenson believes Garner will be a hit among the Blues faithful.
Speaking to the EADT and Ipswich Star earlier this week, he said: “I’ll tell you now, he’ll be one of the hardest working centre-forwards that Ipswich Town fans have seen in the club’s entire history. He’s a nuisance, an absolute nuisance for centre defenders – they absolutely hate playing against him.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
“He’s not particularly tall or well-built, but he hangs in the air, he’s fiery, aggressive and he gets people at it. There’s a little bit of devilment about him and he’ll pick a few yellow cards, but I think all teams need that in the Championship.
“The Preston fans loved him, he was popular in the dressing room and I’m sure that will be the case at Ipswich too.”
Garner becomes Town’s second signing of the summer after defender Jordan Spence penned a two-year deal following the expiration of his short-term deal at the end of last season.
Town’s players return to pre-season a week on Monday (June 26) then play away friendlies against Drogheda United (Dublin), Peterborough, Gillingham, Colchester and Charlton. The 2017/18 Championship fixtures are announced next Wednesday.