Ipswich tie young star Woolfenden down to new long-term deal
Ipswich Town defender Luke Woolfenden has signed a new four-year contract with the club.
The defender enjoyed a solid breakthrough season with the club last season, playing 36 games in all competitions as he became a regular started under manager Paul Lambert.
Woolfenden’s form caught the attention of clubs higher up the football pyramid, including Sheffield United, but he has now committed his long-term future to the club.
His original deal was due to expire in the summer of 2022, with the Blues holding a year’s option on top of that, but his new contract will now run until 2024.
Again, the club hold an option to extend his deal for 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
The 21-year-old made his Town debut in August 2017 in the Carabao Cup before heading out on loan to Bromley, with the 2018/19 season seeing him spend an impressive year in League Two with Swindon Town.
He is the latest in a line of young players to have committed their futures to the club, with winger Armando Dobra signing a long-term deal in May.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
Woolfenden is now the longest-contracted player at the club.
Ipswich Town contract situation
Holy*, Donacien*, Chambers, Huws, Judge*, Wilson*, Sears*, Jackson*, Nolan*, Bishop*, Nsiala*, Nydam*, El Mizouni*, Wright, Skuse*, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin*, Drinan, Przybek*, Folami*, Morris*, Cotter, Clements*, Gibbs*, Andoh*, Z.Brown*, K.Brown*, Hughes*
Downes*, Norwood*, Lankester*, Kenlock*, Ndaba*, Crowe*, Smith*, Simpson*, Crane*.
*known to have a 12-month contract option