Ipswich tie young star Woolfenden down to new long-term deal
Ipswich Town defender Luke Woolfenden has signed a new four-year contract with the club.
The defender enjoyed a solid breakthrough season with the club last season, playing 36 games in all competitions as he became a regular started under manager Paul Lambert.
Woolfenden’s form caught the attention of clubs higher up the football pyramid, including Sheffield United, but he has now committed his long-term future to the club.
His original deal was due to expire in the summer of 2022, with the Blues holding a year’s option on top of that, but his new contract will now run until 2024.
Again, the club hold an option to extend his deal for 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
The 21-year-old made his Town debut in August 2017 in the Carabao Cup before heading out on loan to Bromley, with the 2018/19 season seeing him spend an impressive year in League Two with Swindon Town.
He is the latest in a line of young players to have committed their futures to the club, with winger Armando Dobra signing a long-term deal in May.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Woolfenden is now the longest-contracted player at the club.
Ipswich Town contract situation
Holy*, Donacien*, Chambers, Huws, Judge*, Wilson*, Sears*, Jackson*, Nolan*, Bishop*, Nsiala*, Nydam*, El Mizouni*, Wright, Skuse*, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin*, Drinan, Przybek*, Folami*, Morris*, Cotter, Clements*, Gibbs*, Andoh*, Z.Brown*, K.Brown*, Hughes*
Downes*, Norwood*, Lankester*, Kenlock*, Ndaba*, Crowe*, Smith*, Simpson*, Crane*.
*known to have a 12-month contract option