Blues could get up to £6m if ex-defender Webster makes £30m move
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town could be set for another big windfall if former defender Adam Webster makes a mega money move to the Premier League.
The Blues were boosted last week when former academy product Matt Clarke moved from Portsmouth to Brighton for £4 million, with a 20% sell-on clause meaning the Portman Road war chest will be swelled by around £800,000.
And Town could be in line for an even bigger sum if cultured defender Webster, who left last summer to sign for Bristol City, makes a move to the Premier League.
Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Leicester City, Southampton, Burnley, Watford and Everton are all chasing the ball-playing centre-half, and the Robins are said to have slapped a £30m price tag on their star man, according to the Bristol Post.
While it's not known exactly what the Town sell-on clause which was included in his move away from Portman Road is, it's understood to be in the region of 10-20%.
That means that, if Webster's valuation is met and he does move on, Town could be in line for a windfall of between £3m and £6m.
Any cash in would be a boost for boss Paul Lambert as he looks to add to his squad ahead of their first League One campaign.
So far, only striker James Norwood and 6ft 9ins keeper Tomas Holy have arrived at Portman Road this summer, with the Town manager yesterday saying he hopes to add 'one or two' more new faces.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 3 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 4 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 'If we're clever there's lots to learn' - McKenna on Town's Bolton lessons
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich