Ipswich Town defeat Barnsley 1-0
DARYL Murphy’s goal secured another three points for Ipswich Town this afternoon with a 1-0 win over Barnsley.
Town extended their unbeaten run at home to eight games and Barnsley made it six on the road without a goal, with Murphy’s strike the difference between the teams.
Barnsley almost led at the interval, following a scrappy first half in which Town were mainly restricted to shots from distance, Korey Smith’s effort squirming under the body of Arran Lee-Barrett before the goalkeeper recovered to collect the ball on his goal line.
Town were better in the second period and the classy Murphy slotted home from 12 yards after being fed by Michael Chopra, on 49 minutes.
He almost made it two moments later after a break from a corner but put his effort wide of David Button’s post.
You may also want to watch:
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas then hit the bar with a rasping effort before Lee-Barrett redeemed himself with a great double stop, in the space of a minute to deny Smith and Craig Davies as Town held on for three points.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock