Knudsen gets Denmark World Cup play-off call-up but Huws out of Wales squad
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town left-back Jonas Knudsen has been called up to the Denmark squad for their World Cup play-off clash with the Republic of Ireland, but Emyr Huws has been withdrawn from the Wales squad.
Knudsen, who has two Denmark caps to his name prior to his move to the Blues, replaces Brentford’s Henrik Dalsgaard in the squad for the two-legged clash with Ireland, which will decide which of the two teams reaches next summer’s World Cup finals in Russia.
He will come face-to-face with Portman Road team-mate David McGoldrick in those games, with the first leg taking place at Parken in Copenhagen on November 11 ahead of the second game at the Aviva Stadium, Dublin, on November 14.
Huws had been named in the Wales squad for their friendlies with France and Panama, but has now withdrawn. Hal Robson-Kanu and Gareth Bale have also pulled out of the friendly clashes, with Lee Evans (Wigan Athletic), Tom Bradshaw and Lloyd Isgove (both Barnsley) called up in their place.
The Blues midfielder has yet to feature since making his loan move to Portman Road permanent in the summer as he continues to battle an Achilles problem.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Mick McCarthy had initially pencilled him in to play a part when the Ipswich Under 23 side take on Aston Villa at Portman Road on Monday night, before then joining up with Wales, with the game at Hull on November 18 targetted as his potential return to the Blues first team.
Ipswich duo Tommy Smith and Monty Patterson will also be bidding to reach the World Cup during the international break, having been named in the New Zealand squad for their play-off clashes with Peru.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 10 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
The first leg will be played in Wellington on Saturday 11th November with the second game in Lima four days later.