Ipswich Town defender was in the right place at the wrong time
IT may have been a case of being in the right place at the wrong time for departing Ipswich Town defender, Jack Ainsley.
The 22-year-old made just eight appearances for the club in four years as a professional at Portman Road, and is now seeking a new start elsewhere.
Ainsley made one start for the Blues this season, in the 2-2 home draw with Huddersfield Town but, while putting in a capable display, then only made one more substitute appearance before manager Paul Jewell left the club.
The Felixstowe-born defender then failed to make any of Mick McCarthy’s matchday squads and spent the latter part of the season at Chelmsford.
“I was given my chance against Huddersfield as Carlos (Edwards) was injured,” said Ainsley.
“I thought I had done OK and the manager told me I had performed well but then the international break came around and that gave Carlos a chance to get back fit.
“He has got more experience than me so I had no qualms with him coming back into the team, it was just one of those things.”
- 1 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 2 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 3 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 6 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 7 Go-ahead given for 40 new homes in Suffolk village
- 8 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 9 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 10 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
Out of the picture at Ipswich, Ainsley then spent time on trial at Preston but that period was cut short when Lilywhites’ boss Graham Westley was given the sack.
“That obviously went out of the window once the manager had got the sack there,” added Ainsley.
“It was frustrating not to play more at Ipswich but I am now looking at next season.
“My agent is circulating my name and it would be nice to prove Mick McCarthy wrong.”