Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Newcastle and Arsenal linked with Downes and Woolfenden
- Credit: Archant
Premier League side Newcastle United are said to be eyeing Ipswich Town duo Flynn Downes and Luke Woolfenden.
The Chronicle are reporting the Magpies’ interest in the pair, at a time when owner Mike Ashley is on the verge of selling the club to a consortium led by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The young Ipswich duo were the Blues’ standout performers prior to football’s suspension due to the coronavirus crisis, with their futures almost certain to have been major talking points throughout the summer had the season reached its conclusion.
The report states the Blues had previously been telling interested sides they would not accept less than £7million for Downes, who is also said to be interesting Arsenal and West Ham, while Town boss Paul Lambert has previously put a £10million price-tag on the head of Woolfenden amid interest from Sheffield United.
The duo will of course be well-known to newly-appointed Newcastle Under 23s coach Chris Hogg, who left his role at Portman Road earlier this year to move to the North East.
The Newcastle recruitment staff have been placed on furlough leave, but it has been suggested they may move ahead with current transfer plans once they return, regardless of the impending takeover.
Ipswich have regularly stated their desire to keep hold of their best young players but, although Lambert has admitted on a number of occasions that ‘money talks’. At a time when EFL clubs have been impacted heavily by the loss of income brought on by the coronavirus suspension, there is a belief top tier clubs may be able to pick up players from lower down the pyramid at reduced cost.
You may also want to watch:
Young Ipswich talent heading to Newcastle is a familiar tale, of course, with Kieron Dyer, Titus Bramble and Darren Ambrose all leaving Suffolk for St James’ Park between 1999 and 2003.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 A12 closed following serious collision
- 6 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab