Ipswich Town fans’ anger over handling of tickets for FA Cup tie with Aston Villa
FRUSTRATED Town fans have hit out after it emerged only a very limited number of tickets are left for their FA Cup game at Aston Villa on January 5.
Supporters have criticised a decision by the Suffolk club to secure just 2,900 seats for the match at Villa Park, whose capacity is 42,788.
Season ticket holders and members have already snapped up the majority of the tickets – the last remaining ones will go on general sale from 9am today.
Town fan ‘Billy Bob’ tweeted: “How can ITFC only offer 2,900 when they have nearly sold out on season ticket holder sales alone? The least we would take is 4,000, easy!”
Another supporter, Karl Burnside, said: “Fuming at ITFC decision not to get extra tickets for AVFC game. We could easily take 5,000.”
A spokesman for Ipswich Town said it could only buy 2,900 tickets on a sale or return basis.
If the club had gone for 6,000 – which it is entitled to under Football Association rules which give visiting teams 15 per cent of the host club’s capacity – and not sold them it would have been left out of pocket.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 5 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 6 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 7 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 8 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 9 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
He added: “The club had to make a decision on the number of tickets to buy from Aston Villa as there is a no return policy.
“With our average away attendance being 650 this season, a figure of 2,900 was deemed to be appropriate.”
The club said some restricted-view tickets are left. For more information telephone 0844 8011 555 after 9am today.